Recipe: Artichoke, Spinach, and Sun-Dried Tomato Breakfast Sandwich from La Bastide
Start your day with this delicious recipe from La Bastide Bed and Breakfast. You’ll enjoy it even more alongside a glass of Dundee Hills sparkling wine.
- 1-2 Tbsp Briar Rose Fromage Blanc (or chevre or other suitable substitute)
- 1-2 Tbsp Artichoke, Spinach, and Sun-dried Tomato Filling
- 2 Tbls Olive Oil
- 14 oz Artichoke Hearts, chopped
- 10.5 oz Fresh Spinach
- 2.1 oz Sun-Dried Tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 ¼ tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 slices fresh, Italian-style sandwich bread
- 1.5 Eggs
- Butter and olive oil
Make the filling
- Chop the artichoke hearts and tear up the spinach.
- In a saute pan over medium heat, saute the artichokes, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes and spices in olive oil until spinach is wilted.
- This will make enough filling for 20 sandwiches and can also be frozen in ice cube trays for future use.
Scramble the eggs
- Scramble the egg with a fork. Add a dash of salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Heat about ½ Tbsp butter in a nonstick pan until melted and add the egg.
- Stir periodically until it begins to set, then gently form it into an oval shape that matches the size of the bread.
- When the bottom has set, flip to cook through.
- Cooked eggs can be held in the warmer until ready to serve.
Assemble the sandwich
- Heat the griddle to 350 (or frying pan to medium heat) and assemble your sandwich while waiting for it to heat:
- Lightly butter one side of each slice of bread and set the buttered sides together.
- Spread Fromage blanc cheese on the un-buttered side of the top slice.
- Place artichoke spinach filling on the bread and place the egg on top.
- Place the other side of the bread on top (buttered sides should be facing out).
- When the griddle is hot, brush with a little olive oil, then place the assembled sandwich on the griddle. Fry for 3-5 minutes on each side, until the exterior is crispy and the cheese is melty.
- Cut in half diagonally to serve