Recipe: Maple Spiced Hazelnuts from La Bastide
Looking for a crowd-pleasing appetizer that’s perfect for your next gathering? Try these maple spiced hazelnuts from La Bastide Bed & Breakfast. The climate that makes Oregon an ideal location for winemakers also makes it the perfect location for hazelnut farmers with more than 1,000 hazelnut farms in existence throughout the state.
- 4 c raw hazelnuts
- 6 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp maple flavoring
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat it to 350 F.
- Spread the nuts on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the skin begins to loosen and crack. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes. Remove excess skins.
- Line the rimmed baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper and set aside.
- Place the hazelnuts in a small bowl and add the syrup. Toss to coat, then add the cayenne and salt, tossing again.
- Transfer the nuts to the prepared baking sheet, spreading them in a single layer so they do not touch. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until the nuts are glazed and fragrant. Cool completely before transferring to an airtight container.