10 Reasons You’ll Fall in Love with the Dundee Hills
The vines are growing and the wine is flowing! There has never been a better time to visit the Dundee Hills. Our wineries are pouring incredible vintages, our restaurants are showcasing breathtaking recipes with local ingredients, and our hotels and inns have plush rooms ready to welcome you. Here are 10 reasons we know you’ll fall in love with the Dundee Hills this year!
- The oldest vines in the valley. Because the Dundee Hills is an AVA with deep roots and continued growth, our guests have the opportunity to taste wines made from vines nearly a century old as well as from our newest vines. Explore the complexity of the region by paying homage to the past and celebrating the future with every sip you take.
- World-renowned Pinot Noir. To love the Dundee Hills is to love our Pinot Noirs. The climate, elevation and soil combine into a perfect mecca for our pinot vines and the award-winning wines they create.
- Central to the sights of Oregon. Less than an hour from Portland and just forty miles from the Oregon coast, the Dundee Hills are located centrally for a day trip or a longer stay in the Pacific Northwest.
- From red soil to red wine. There’s a reason David Lett, the Sokol Blossers and Dick Erath were drawn to the Dundee Hills more than fifty years ago. The rich, volcanic Jory soil reaches a depth of up to six feet, which means our vines have unparalleled drainage and produce grapes of the highest quality for our award-winning wines.
- Family comes first. Many of our vineyards and wineries are filled with generations of families who live and farm together as they pass down family winemaking techniques, create award-winning wines and build a legacy for the future.
- A commitment to the environment. Cultivation practices in the Dundee Hills focus on sustainable practices, lower yields and respect for Oregon’s bio-diversity. Certified LIVE, organic, biodynamic and regenerative farming methods are common among our vineyards and wineries.
- Memorable meals await. A trip to wine country is incomplete without a perfectly paired meal crafted with local ingredients by chefs who know and love the wine region. Whether you’re looking for fine dining or something more casual, our members are ready to welcome you to the table.
- Short distances to maximize wine tastings. Because the Dundee Hills AVA is a relatively compact area (less than 6,500 acres total), you can see and do far more in a weekend than you could in a more sprawling area. When you’re in wine country, spend your time in the tasting rooms — not in the car traveling between them!
- A commitment to innovation. There is no “right way” to tend grapes and craft them into a vintage. Each of our winery members brings their own unique farming practices and winemaking styles. And their methods are always evolving as they adjust to the climate year to year, learn from their neighbors, and discover new techniques.
- Far more than Pinot Noir. We welcome Pinot Noir lovers from around the globe, but we offer many other varieties it would be a shame to miss while you’re here. Have you tried Pinot Gouges? Gamay Noir? Viognier? Friulano? You can find all these and so many more in our tasting rooms!