Gougères with Gruyère and Pink Peppercorns
A new year brings a new recipe! Check out this savory appetizer from Lange Winery, which they endorse as an elegant pairing with Dundee Hills sparkling wine. It’s perfect for your next dinner party or gathering! Carve out 40 minutes to mix and bake, and we’re sure you won’t be disappointed.
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 4 ounces shredded Gruyère
- Freshly ground pink peppercorns
- Freshly ground grated nutmeg
- Pastry bag plus 1/2″ round tip for piping
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 400°. Line two baking sheets with parchment.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the water, milk, butter, and salt and bring to a boil. Add the flour and stir with a spatula until a thick dough forms.
- Turn the dough out into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Allow it to cool for a few minutes, then beat in the eggs, one at a time, until they are fully incorporated. Stir in the Gruyère, pepper, and nutmeg. Transfer the dough into a pastry bag, then pipe the gougères (around 1 tablespoon each) onto the baking sheets, leaving 1-1/2″ between each puff. Sprinkle with the remaining Gruyère.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes, until the gougères are perfectly puffed and golden brown. Serve with Dundee Hill sparkling wine and enjoy!