Summer Butterleaf Salad with Roasted Heirloom Tomato Vinaigrette
Thanks to Field + Stream restaurant and Chef Fritz for this fun and light summer dish utilizing fresh, seasonal products. Play around with what you have from your garden or local farmers market! Serves two as a main or four as a side.
- 1 head Butterleaf lettuce
- 2 large Heirloom Tomatoes
- 3 strips smokey Bacon
- 1 ea garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon picked thyme
- 1 teaspoon picked tarragon
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup roasted Pepitas
- 1/4 cup Chevre (or another creamy cheese of your liking)
- Start by grilling or roasting 2 tomatoes on high heat to develop caramelization on the exterior. A little char is good for flavor, but do not burn!
- Place the tomatoes into a bowl while still hot, cover with plastic for 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes to your blender with dijon, tarragon, thyme and vinegar.
- Blend on high speed, periodically stirring to make sure everything becomes incorporated and smooth.
- With the blender still on high setting, slowly add your oil to the tomato mixture. I repeat slowly, you want the oil to emulsify and become creamy.
- Finely dice the shallots and fine mince the garlic, fold into vinaigrette.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice your bacon strips into small pieces, cook on low heat until fat is rendered and the pieces are crispy.
- Strain bacon from fat and place on a paper towel to keep them from getting soft.
- Dress your Butterleaf lettuce generously, plate and garnish with Chevre, bacon, Pepitas and the remaining Heirloom Tomatoes.
- Serve and Enjoy!