Recipe: Truffle Arancini by Domaine Drouhin Oregon
This delicious recipe by Chef Dean Cambray of Domaine Drouhin is begging for a place on your holiday menus! It serves four as a main dish but can easily be repurposed as an appetizer alongside a glass of Dundee Hills Chardonnay.
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 2/3 cup finely grated parmesan
- 6 egg, lightly beaten
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 1/2 cup plain flour, seasoned
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
Truffle Gorgonzola Filling
- 4 oz Gorgonzola Dolcelatte, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh black truffle, finely chopped
- Cook the rice in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water for 15 minutes or until tender, drain well. Place in a large bowl to cool. Add parmesan, two-thirds of the egg, season generously with sea salt and freshly ground pepper, and stir until combined. Spread the rice mixture on a tray and refrigerate until cold.
- For the truffle Dolcelatte filling, place ingredients in a bowl, stir to combine, cover and refrigerate until needed.
- To make the arancini, place 1 tbsp of rice into the palm of your hand and flatten with a spoon. Place 1/2 tsp of truffle Dolcelatte filling in the center and gently form the mixture around the filling to create a ball. Transfer arancini to a large plate. Repeat with the remaining rice mixture and filling. Makes about 24 arancini.
- Place flour, remaining egg, and bread crumbs each into separate bowls. Roll the arancini gently in the flour, dip in egg and then roll in breadcrumbs and place on a tray. Refrigerate until needed.
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep saucepan or deep-fryer to 356˚F. Deep fry the arancini in batches for 3-5 minutes or until crisp and golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper and serve immediately.